How do I change my theme in WordPress?
You can change your WordPress Theme at any point however, it’s important to be on the save side and create a back up of your website before you start. I’m making a note of that as some of the widgets and custom fields are theme specific and if not careful that info can be lost or invisible.
When choosing a theme the main things to check are Cross Browser Compatibility and Loading Time. You can test the demo theme for those especially if you are going to buy a theme.
In WordPress, there are few ways to add a new theme and those are Admin Upload, FTP and Trought the WP free themes page if you have not decided on what theme to use.
Add new WordPress theme trough WP Admin Upload.
Login in your admin panel and from the left menu select Appearance > Themes, after the page loads on the top left corner select Add New and then click Upload Theme on the same place. Now you should see the upload button tap it and pick the file containing your theme. After the Instal Now button has become active select it and after installation is done hit activate. Please consider that using this method you need to have a ZIP file containing the theme.
Change WordPress theme through FTP/SFTP client.
Connect to your server through your favorite FTP client and navigate to \wp-content\themes\. Upload the folder containing your theme to that folder, please note that if you have only ZIP of your theme you will need to unzip it. When the theme up on your server go to the WP Admin and click on Appearance > Themes, find your new theme and click on Activate.
Install WordPress theme trough Free WP themes admin menu.
What I mean by that is the “little invisible” main screen of Appearance > Themes > Add New (on the top left corner of the page). The main screen here is and always was offering us a selection of free themes, adding one simply narrows to clicking on the Install button. After the installation has completed you just need to click on the Activate button and you are ready to roll with a new theme and you can start setting it up.
Few considerations after new Theme install.
Start working on your new theme by Testing all functionality and plugins. Check the sidebars as those are something that can be missing a widget or two. The menus may need adjustments as the locations will be different.
Also, important pieces of your checklist should be the Post Types, Taxonomies and Shortcodes if your site is using those
Theme VS Template
In WordPress, a theme is the overall look and functionality of the website when Template refers to the page templates which are part of the WordPress theme. If you are actually looking for how to create a page template, please refer to our article How can I add a WordPress page template?
I hope the answer for this frequently asked question was helpful.
Have a great one!
Hello, In this article, I will show you how to remove the footer wrap when removing the post meta in the Genesis Framework. …
Hello, When I started using Atom as my code editor, I greatly improved the code I produce and the time it takes. One …
Quickly Display Featured FAQ’s Make a plan and create a road map and Scale your idea. Before you start displaying your pages with …
The WordPress functions the_content and get_the_content are used to pull the main text area from the page or post. The difference between them …
Change the default color for dash icon in the admin menu Probably you have this question when you create a Custom WordPress Theme …
To install the Lighthouse extension for Google Chrome: Download Google Chrome for Desktop. Install the Lighthouse Chrome Extension from the Chrome Webstore. To run an audit: …
Wordpress Resources | Snippets | Themes
- How to remove Genesis Framework post meta along with the Footer wrap on blog loop and single.php?
- What Atom IDE Plugins I use on my set up?
- How to Display FAQs Featured Snippet in Google SERP?
- What do the_content and get_the_content do in WordPress?
- How to change Dash icon color in WordPress admin menu with CSS?
Do you need a custom Wordpress Template?
You are on the right place if you need specific design, functions or template/s for your WordPress website. Did you ever ask some of the Questions Below?
- How do I create a custom WordPress template?
- How customisable is WordPress?
- How much does a custom WordPress theme cost?
- How do I edit the content of my WordPress site?
- How do I create a menu in Wordpress?
- What is the default template in Wordpress?
- How do I upload a theme to Wordpress?
- How do I create a new page in Wordpress?
- How do I add a template to Wordpress?
- How do I add a subpage in Wordpress?
- How old is Wordpress?
- What are Wordpress pages?
- How can I create a template?
- How do I change my theme in Wordpress?
- What is a taxonomy in Wordpress?
- Can you copy a page in Wordpress?
- How do I convert HTML to Wordpress?
- How do I change the layout of one page in Wordpress?
- How do I set a front page in Wordpress?
- How do I change the layout of my Wordpress blog?
- How do I change the header in Wordpress?
- How do I change the header text in Wordpress?
- How do I edit the top bar in Wordpress?
- How do I change the top header in Wordpress?
- How do I change my logo in Wordpress?
- How do I edit headers and footers in Wordpress?
- How do I hide the admin bar in Wordpress?
- How do I hide the toolbar in Wordpress?
- How do I edit text on a Wordpress site?
- How do I remove the Powered by Wordpress?
- How do I change my social media links on Wordpress?
- How do I add my Instagram feed to Wordpress?
- How do I link Facebook to my Wordpress website?